Alberta Health Services (AHS) is proud to announce our continued support of the Students Commission of Canada’s Take Our Kids to Work Day, which will be held on November 6, 2024. This year, AHS will again be welcoming kids across the province to attend either virtually or in person at our sites, where possible.
Take Our Kids to Work Day is a work experience program that allows grades 9, 10, 11 or 12 students to experience the ins and outs of a real work environment by observing a parent, guardian or AHS employee host at their place of work or by participating in our online event.
Please note: AHS infection prevention and control protocols will be followed at AHS sites.
For more information, please contact: Youth.Careers@ahs.ca
The in-person event is for students who are interested in learning more about the career of a parent, guardian or AHS employee host at AHS. Students participating in the in-person event must register via the in-person event registration form.
Participation by the student at a work site must be approved by the host’s manager. Before approving a visit from a high school student, the manager and employee host must consider the following:
- Students must be supervised at all times.
- Patients, clients, and AHS employees must be made aware of the students’ presence and consent to have the student observe.
- Students are not permitted to have cell phones or cameras at the workplace.
- Areas with high acuity patients, such as Emergency and ICU, are not recommended to participate.
- Students should not be exposed to areas where there are hazardous substances or dangerous equipment.
- Students and parents must review and sign the registration form on Insite and submit no later than November 1, 2024.
- Students are required to have received the rubella vaccine. It is also strongly recommended that the student have the following vaccinations and/or immunizations: pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus + diphtheria, measles, mumps, polio, hepatitis B, varicella (chickenpox), seasonal influenza and tuberculosis skin test.
The online event will be hosted over Teams and will feature speakers from different professions across AHS.
The event will run from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., with a break for lunch.