Last Updated: April 23, 2020 1:30 p.m.
This framework is designed to provide guidelines for the utilization of volunteers to support health services during the COVID-19 response. Implementation of this framework is dependent on service needs and may differ depending on the facility. These decisions will be made in collaboration with Volunteer Resources staff and the appropriate Site Command post.
- All AHS volunteer programs in facilities, in community and in homecare environments will be suspended until such time as directed otherwise.
- This includes but is not limited to:
- All direct and indirect patient care programs e.g. patient visitation, entertainment groups
- All pet therapy/visitation programs
- All ancillary revenue generating operations, including gift shops, hair salons, bookshops and cafés
- External vendors as booked through Volunteer Resources
- Volunteers will be directed not to come to facilities unless specifically requested by Volunteer Resources.
- With the suspension of volunteer programs, there may be site identified initiatives that require volunteer support.
- These include, but are not limited to:
- Community - Meals on Wheels, lab driver(s)
- Edmonton/Calgary Acute Care - wayfinding, emergency, palliative support
- All sites - administrative support, stocking of supplies, delivery of sacraments etc.
- Virtual support of isolated patients at home and in facilities
- Virtual consultation with patient/family advisors.
- Where there are initiatives that require volunteer support, Volunteer Resources at the direction of the appropriate Site Command Post will reach out to appropriate registered volunteers.
- Appropriate registered volunteers are as follows:
- Registered volunteers who have indicated interest in supporting AHS at this time.
- Registered volunteers between the ages of 19 and 64.
- Please note: Registered volunteers 18 years of age and under, and 65 years and older will not be utilized.
- Registered volunteers who meet the following screening criteria:
- Have not returned from travel outside of Canada within the past 14 days;
- Have not had contact with a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19;
- Have not had laboratory exposure to biological material known to contain COVID-19;
- Are not currently experiencing any of the following symptoms – fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
- Volunteer Resources will provide volunteers with guidance so they are aware of the safety and health risks associated with COVID-19, at the time of request. Volunteers will then be able to make an informed decision about their involvement.
- Volunteer Resources will provide volunteers with training and essential protective equipment needed to provide the service requested.