START Psychiatry is a geriatric psychiatry day hospital program that assists community-dwelling older adults to reach their optimal level of functioning through assessment, rehabilitation, and treatment of mental illness and related psychosocial problems. After an intake appointment in the Assessment Clinic, clients attend the Day Hospital twice weekly for up to 20 weeks.
Assessment Clinic: Determines eligibility for the program and assigns client to a specific stream of the program.
Day Hospital: Provides a group-format psychiatric rehabilitation program provided by an interdisciplinary team for older adults ( 65+ years of age) with mental health and complex psychosocial issues. The program focuses on mental health self-management, relapse prevention, community engagement, and improving overall quality of life. The program includes:
- Group psychotherapy and psychoeducational to address depression, anxiety, grief and loss, and coping skills.
- Individualized psychiatric evaluation, cognitive screening, medication review, discharge planning, and
- Referral to follow-up programs and services.
Two streams of the Day Hospital are:
- Tuesday / Thursday - for clients with mild cognitive impairment and/or who are not psychologically minded.
- Wednesday / Friday - for young, active seniors with minimal or no cognitive changes and who are psychologically-minded.