South Health Campus hospital patients who are having surgery within 6 months and who are at risk of having significant post-operative pain, or who have developed significant post-operative pain within 6 months of having their surgery. Possible risk factors to consider include:
- high use of opioid medications pre-operatively, or high levels of opioid use post-operatively with difficulty weaning
- significant and consistent high level of pre-operative pain
- psychological risks factors
- pain catastrophising
- surgery expected to be extremely painful
- greater than expected decrease in level of global functioning
Healthcare providers should consult the Alberta Referral Directory for service referral information.