The Alberta Healthy Living Program offers health education classes, self-management workshops, nutrition counselling and supervised group exercise programming for those with chronic conditions. All of our services are offered via Zoom or by phone. Services are open to adults living in the community who are at risk of or live with a chronic health condition. All patients must have at least one chronic condition to be eligible for our exercise program.
Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP) offers individual and group programs.
Our interactive health education classes are open to all Albertans over the age of 18 and their support persons.
General Health Topics:
- Nutrition (For example, The 4 P's for Meal Planning, Celiac Disease - Going Gluten-free, Heart Healthy Eating and Tips for Eating: Prediabetes and Diabetes), Staying Active, Managing Emotional Eating, Emotional Wellness (Self-Kindness, Stress, Grief), Pacing, Sleep, Creating a Personal Directive and more
- The 4 P’s for Meal Planning: Cooking Demo classes include a cooking demonstration
- Nutrition classes on Heart Health, Tips for Eating: Prediabetes and Diabetes, and Eating Well for Good Health are now offered in Mandarin and Cantonese languages
- Nutrition classes on Heart Health, Tips for Eating: Prediabetes and Diabetes are now offered in Punjabi language
Topics on the following chronic conditions:
- Arthritis, Celiac Disease, Cholesterol / Blood Pressure, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Chronic Pain, COPD, Diabetes / Pre-diabetes, Fatty Liver Disease, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Kidney Health, Osteoporosis / Bone Health, Parkinson's Disease, Weight Management and Post Covid-19. For more information please visit our website
The Better Choices, Better Health® - Chronic Pain and Better Choices, Better Health® - Chronic Disease workshops are for adults living with a chronic condition and / or chronic pain and their support people. These 6-week workshops offer participants the opportunity to learn about the following:
- Working with healthcare professionals
- Healthy eating and weight management
- Exercise and physical activity
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Managing pain and fatigue
- Better breathing
- Problem solving
- Communication skills
- Getting a good night's sleep
- Action planning and goal setting
Health and Exercise Wellness Journey:
Do you have questions about how exercise can help you manage your chronic health condition? The Health and Exercise Wellness Journey will help you better understand the positive impact of exercise on managing your condition(s) and how to begin or modify an exercise program based on your symptoms and abilities. A healthcare professional will guide you through the program and help you develop strategies to overcome barriers to being physically active. You will be provided with opportunities to attend educational sessions, exercise in a supervised group setting and work on an action plan to continue exercising at home or in the community. For more information or to register, call 403-943-2584. Your physician or healthcare provider can also refer you to this program.
Adults living with a nutrition-related health condition are eligible for nutrition counselling with a registered dietitian. Participants will be asked to attend a relevant Health Education class, if available, before booking a nutrition counselling appointment. We will accept Health Care Provider referrals as well as patient self-referrals.