Provides assessment and management of children who have feeding and/or swallowing problems related to complex medical conditions.
Provides care to children with feeding or swallowing problems. This may include feeding / swallowing issues associated with structural and motor disorders affecting the mouth, throat, airway, and digestive system and/or suspected aspiration.
Problems may include:
- trouble coordinating swallowing with breathing
- congestion during and/or after feeding
- changes in colour or state during feeding
- weight loss
- choking, coughing, or gagging during meals
- has a lot of colds or they last a long time, congestion, or refusing food
Once the referral is received, a speech-language pathologist contacts the family / caregiver to talk about concerns and schedule an appointment.
A speech-language pathologist, working with a registered dietitian will do the first feeding/swallowing assessment. Follow-up visits will be scheduled as required.