Provides assessment and management of children who have feeding and/or swallowing problems related to complex medical conditions.
Provides care to children with feeding or swallowing problems. This may include feeding / swallowing issues associated with structural and motor disorders affecting the mouth, throat, airway, and digestive system and/or suspected aspiration.
Problems may include:
- trouble coordinating swallowing with breathing
- congestion during and/or after feeding
- changes in color or state during feeding
- weight loss
- choking, coughing, or gagging during meals
- has a lot of colds or they last a long time, congestion, or refusing food
Once the referral is received, a parent questionnaire is sent out to the family by mail to be completed and returned prior to an appointment being scheduled.
A speech-language pathologist will do the first feeding/swallowing assessment. Follow-up visits will be scheduled as required.
Visit the PEAS (Pediatric Eating and Swallowing) website to find relevant information for families and care providers of children with an eating, feeding and swallowing disorder.