A beginner to intermediate level functional physical activity program suitable for people with one or more chronic health conditions that limits their ability to move.
- individual initial assessment with a team of occupational therapists, physical therapists and a Kinesiologist to determine eligibility for the program
- eight (8) weeks of exercise, held twice weekly, in the community
- three (3) educational sessions regarding goal setting, physical activity based resources and programs available in the community
- discharge assessment and evaluation of goals set
- one, three and six months follow-up and intervention, as needed
- occupational therapy consultation, if required, during programming
Edmonton Zone - Information / Registration / Appointments
Hours of Operation
Service hours not available.
Designed for adults(18+) who are medically stable and:
- are re-integrating into the community following a medical or rehabilitation intervention
- are trying to prevent admission to a facility due to deteriorating physical status
- are able to ambulate independently with or without aid (Walker or Cane etc.) for approximately 1 block
- are under 300 lbs
- better manage physical status while living with a chronic health diagnosis
- are not currently receiving rehabilitation for any Motor Vehicle Accident, Worker's Compensation, or Short Term Disability claim
How to access the exercise program:
- You may self-refer by calling the STEP Forward Intake Line (Phone780-735-3483)
- You may be referred by a physician, caseworker, or Allied Health professional
- An initial assessment appointment will be scheduled for you fot determine if you meet porgram eligibiliy
An estimated wait time will be provided at the time of appointment booking.
There is a minimal cost to attend program (to purchase exercise bands supplied for each participant)
Partners with local community groups for use of facilities to offer this program.